NATIONAL LITHIUM STRATEGY
Chile has a historic opportunity. Chile has lithium. Chile has a better future for families. The goal of this National Strategy is to increase wealth for the country, developing a key industry as a fundamental step to link Chile’s economic development with the shift towards a global green economy.
High global demand, elevated prices and our country’s extensive lithium reserves allow us to be optimistic; at the same time, they call for us to act with a sense of urgency.
It is necessary to incorporate capital, technology, sustainability and value addition, in harmony with local communities. For this reason, the development of the lithium industry will be led by the State, and will involve the private sector in the entire production process.
Public-private collaboration is the way to seize this historic opportunity.
Specifically, the State will apply a long-term vision throughout the production cycle, from exploration to value addition, as well as clear regulations to ensure sustainability and reinvestment in the country’s development.
Private companies, on the other hand, will contribute capital, technological innovation and networks in the market.
The National Lithium Strategy is a set of measures to incorporate capital, technology, sustainability and value addition in the productive sector, in harmony with local communities.
The actions that make up the National Lithium Strategy are:
- To start a process of dialogue and participation with various stakeholders
- To create the National Lithium Company
- To create a Protected Salt Flats Network, and to ensure the use of technologies with low environmental impact in salt flats under exploitation
- To modernize the institutional framework
- To create a Public Technological and Research Institute of Lithium and Salt Flats
- To incorporate the State in the productive activity of the Salar de Atacama
- To prospect in other salt flats
National Lithium Company
An essential part of the strategy announced by President Gabriel Boric is the creation of a National Lithium Company*. It is a historic milestone that will increase the country’s wealth through a state-led effort that will involve the private sector in the entire production process.
*Bill subject to the approval of National Congress.
The National Lithium Strategy will be developed in order to achieve the following objectives:
- To increase wealth for Chile
- To develop a sustainable industry for the country and the world
- To develop technology and production chains
- To strengthen social and environmental sustainability
- To provide fiscal sustainability
- To contribute to productive diversification and regional growth potential
- To promote Chile’s global leadership in the lithium industry, through coordination with national and international stakeholders
The above seeks to ensure:
- The involvement of the State in the entire industrial cycle through the creation of a National Lithium Company and a Chilean Economic Development Agency (CORFO) Committee on Lithium and Salt Flats
- Capacity building through a Public Technological and Research Institute of Lithium and Salt Flats
- The development of public-private partnerships for the growth of the industry and the exploration of resources
- Political and social sustainability through the involvement of local territories and communities
- The modernization of the industry’s institutional framework, consistent with the country’s challenges and objectives
The high global demand, elevated prices and our country’s extensive lithium reserves allow us to be optimistic; at the same time, they call for us to act with a sense of urgency, in order to take advantage of this historic opportunity for the country.
Lithium wealth could help finance new schools, hospitals, police stations, bridges and roads
We must remember that this income is not permanent. For this reason, in addition to productive transformation, we need a tax reform that finances permanent expenses while maintaining fiscal responsibility.
The State-Owned Copper Company, CODELCO, and the National Mining Company, ENAMI, will play an initial role as state representatives in the National Lithium Strategy
The creation of a National Lithium Company will coordinate future public-private actions to:
- Increase national production
- Attract new stakeholders
- Expand the industry through joint initiatives
In this way, we will be able to achieve greater sustainable production in the Salar de Atacama and in new projects in other salt flats in Chile.
The resources obtained through the National Lithium Strategy will be used to prepare for a future of permanent innovation, investing in science, technology and knowledge.
Public Technological and Research Institute of Lithium and Salt Flats
The National Lithium Strategy includes the creation of a Public Technological and Research Institute of Lithium and Salt Flats.
Research and development through this new state entity will lead us to a productive transformation with a stronger, more competitive and sustainable industry, which will open up new investment opportunities for lithium and beyond.
Knowledge and science will be the keys to exploiting this resource in accordance with the highest standards of care.
The National Lithium Strategy is great news here and throughout the world. Internationally, much is expected of our country.
We will live up to those expectations. We will be world leaders.
We will contribute to having a cleaner planet, while making progress towards building a developed Chile that tangibly improves people’s lives.